Chapter XIII: 1986 -1989: Last Gasp: Acrylix goes to London and then the Wedding and then the end of Acrylix and then a new band
Chapter XIII: 1986 -1989: Last Gasp: Acrylix goes to London and then the Wedding and then the end of Acrylix and then a new band

In summer of 1986, Marcus and I thought we’d give it one more try and embark on an adventure. We went to London for a month or so to shop around a cassette tape of our latest and what would be final recordings as Acrylix (see Music tab for all, and here are two: Blonde in Black Leather and When Worlds Collide).  As I mentioned in an earlier chapter, my boss gave his OK to go even though I didn’t have enough annual leave saved up, saying “Ken, you’re going to have to decide if it’s going to be music or this job.”  

We stayed at the pad of a friend of Geoff Robinson’s (Pressure Records) in New Barnet, north of London (see article, below). We walked that tape to burgeoning indie labels all over London, but no bites. We even played a gig in a pub in New Barnet, with a drum machine and a Dutch guy playing keys. We hung out, got on a pub schedule, and learned how to read the specific gravities for the local ales, smoke hashish in cigarettes, and eat Scotch eggs. Once, we went to a party out in the country and ended up jamming with veteran British Pub rockers; I somehow found myself trading guitar licks with a (non-Robin Trower) former guitarist for Procol Harum. The crowning glory of the trip was working for a vendor serving Coca Colas on the floor of Wembley Stadium at a Queen/INXS/Alarm show.   Andrew and Fergie got Royally married that summer, and Patty arrived at the tail end of the trip for what became our (commoner) pre-wedding honeymoon. We took a trip to Devon on the coast, where our daughter Melissa Devon was conceived. We returned to home to DC, found out Patty was pregnant and hurriedly made plans to marry. 

We got married in October - or, as Johnny Cash would say, in a fever hotter than a pepper sprout - at Mt. Vernon women’s college on Foxhall Road in NW DC. It’s now part of the George Washington University campus. We threw that sucker together in a little over a month: string quartet playing Handel’s Water Music and Pachelbal’s Canon in D, Jesuit priest and a rabbi, photographer, invitations (including to my side of the family on the Left Coast) followed by that tense moment of waiting and hoping that not everybody would respond yes, and a reception at the Bethesda Marriott. There should be a magazine called Bridal Shotgun Edition for when you have less than one entire year with weekly goals to plan. 

In the end, Marcus and I got just enough done in London (with just a bit of hubris) to warrant calling the next few gigs back home our "Return of the Refugee" tour (see below, art by Marcus and screenprinting by Patty).  Acrylix played at our wedding reception, but it was more of a reunion because the band was beginning to fray, and by the end of the year Shelly left the band. It was a friendly split, but the original soul of the band left with her. We changed our name to Shocko Bottom, which was named after the Shockoe Bottom neighborhood in Richmond, VA. There was nothing strategic at all about the new name; one time we were passing through as Acrylix and thought the name sounded cool. We added a new drummer (Gary Crockett) – a perfect fit. How did we find him? I forget. He was so very tight, so very good and in the pocket.  We also added a second keyboard player (Andrew Wallace), who turned out to be a great complement to Jim. Andrew had connected with us via our old friend Tony Piazza (currently with Claudia Neuman as Sister Ex); Andrew had played drums in Tony’s band Radio Silence. Tony in turn had met Marcus back in 1982 at DuPont Circle and later directed a video of Acrylix at Montgomery College for a class project. Alas, that video is lost. Andrew was a cut-up, like once arriving a little late for practice and apologizing to us all because he neglected to allow time for his wife’s multiple orgasms. 

To fill out the large band, we got a bass player, Chris, a software engineer, (Dammit, what was his last name?) so Marcus could concentrate on vocals, and two “girl” backup singers - Nanna Ingvarsson, a well-regarded DC actress and Amy (Dammit, what was her last name?). Jim, Marcus and I were still the heart of the band in terms of continuity of spirit, and our experience and the additional people just made everything “mo’ better.” We were very, very solid and the two keyboards were transcendent. Our first new song was Time For a Change (Es Tiempo para un Cambio), featuring a salsa flavored riff Andrew and I came up with. I recall being petulant and throwing tantrums – at age 33, mind you - because I was struggling to find a niche, my own private frequency, in the new wall of sound. Typical guitar player immature dweeb shit, worrying about being left behind and no longer being the guitar god. Of course, I found I could contribute plenty. 

We began rehearsing as a band in Feb or March of 1987, in Andrew’s parents’ basement. After his parents and their neighbors formed a torch bearing mob and kicked us out of the basement, we moved to a rehearsal space on Flower Ave. in Silver Spring owned by old-timer Walter Salb in the summer. This was a block away from where Patty and I lived at the time. Our daughter Melissa had been born in April, 1987, so this made it a little less complicated for me. The cicadas were roaring that year. Then, Chris No Last Name left to get rich in tech stuff and was replaced by ace bassist Jimmy Crenca, a veteran of the music scene who arrived wearing an MWWW T-shirt, Mike Reidy’s (originally of Razz) band Mick Way and the Wrong Ways. 

There were more gigs, more flyers (see below). In late 1987 at the Roxy/Club Saba on Connecticut Ave., we opened for the late Root Boy Slim. Root Boy was all over our backup singers backstage after our set. Marcus was really coming into his own as a performer (with that new bass player, he was freed up to prance around the stage). He would stride on stage with a juju stick, a la Screaming Jay Hawkins or Dr. John. It just fit him, with his love of funk and soul and the concerts he used to go to at the WUST Music Hall. Here’s a video of us in action, playing the song Desire

We soldiered on. We played at Jim Landry and Nicki Burton’s wedding on February 14, 1988. Amy and Nana left that summer to pursue acting. We added singers Jane Alexander and Kristina Johnson. On December 30, 1988, we opened at the 930 club for Flock of Seagulls. After that, Andrew had to call it quits due to tinnitus. In 1989, we added a conga player who had played with James Brown for gigs at the infamous Grog and Tankard (renowned for stiffing musicians out of money) and the Bayou. By 1990, however, the band was finished. We did manage to record some great material at the studio of composer Chris Biondo ( - he had worked with local Go-Go man Chuck Brown, and the recordings came out much funkier and more complex than Acrylix. But they were simply very good demos and we never released anything. Well, until now; it’s all posted on the music tab, and here’s one: Tight Squeeze

And so, with a thud, the 80s were done done. It wasn’t from our lack of trying, though - not quite the breadth of Hamburg to the rooftop of Apple Corps headquarters, but we did it....our wayyyy!


8 thoughts on “Chapter XIII: 1986 -1989: Last Gasp: Acrylix goes to London and then the Wedding and then the end of Acrylix and then a new band

  1. When Worlds Collide is a very good tune. As I said to you once before, riding back from NYC (and I hope it’s not damning with faint praise…) I don’t see a lot of difference between what you guys were doing and things you could hear on the radio. Seems that close. I like hearing your guitar-Tight Squeeze; it looks like you’re having fun.

  2. Great to read finally! Now I know how my kids felt waiting for the next Harry Potter to drop. You forgot to mention the drummer who auditioned before Gary. . .a pleasant enough accountant of a fellow-probably mid 30s- bathed in that familiar, cool, calming scent of Ben Gay. Necessary, no doubt due to the acute tendonitis brought on by excessive calculatoring.

    Chris What’shisname, worked for Computer Associates and was fast moving up the corporate ladder. For a Beach Boy looking lad, he nevertheless played some tight funky bass.

    The BBQ Iguana gig was a sad one- there were only about 4 people in that big empty space- Jane’s sister Betsy, our mutual friend Andrew Connor and a couple of tourists who thought we were supposed to be famous. It really felt like putting on clothes for the performance had gone well beyond the call of duty. sad face with tear emoji,

    1. You have an amazing memory. Yes, Chris was very good and so was Jimmy C. Oh, and re: BBQ Iguana, thanks for publicly pulling the curtain behind the great Oz of world renown I was carefully curating. I think what you mean to say is that we were beating the women off with a stick.

  3. Oy- we would have been so lucky to have been hit with a stick but fa gad’s sake there was no one around to do it!

    Wow- what an improvement wearing makeup on stage at the Roxy was- we look like we’re 33 years younger- magic I say, and no photoshop!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *